A delicious, easy sandwich filled with hearty chicken salad studded with crunchy toasted walnuts. Great for lunch or a light supper with soup.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded (about 4 cups)
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 1/4 cup very finely minced red onion
- 1 mango, diced and/or pulped (or 1 heaping cup diced frozen mango)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons reduced fat mayonnaise (plus a little extra for the bread, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- A dash or two of cayenne
- 1 cup lightly toasted California walnuts, minced
- A handful of minced fresh cilantro (okay to include smaller stems)
- Salad greens for the bread, if desired
- Combine everything in a medium-sized bowl and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Divide among 4 slices of fresh or toasted artisan bread (sourdough walnut would be great!) that have been spread lightly with extra mayonnaise, if desired, and possibly lined with a leaf or two of lovely fresh salad greens.
- Serve open-face, or top with a second slice of bread.