These nutritious and hearty muffins studded with crunchy walnuts and chewy dates are perfect for breakfast or snack time!
- 1/2 cup flour, whole wheat
- 1/2 cup flour, all purpose
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/3 cup dates, chopped
- 1/3 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light, packed
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In mixing bowl, stir flours, wheat germ, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and nutmeg until blended.
- Stir in dates and walnuts.
- Measure buttermilk and oil in a 2-cup measuring cup, add sugar and egg; whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Pour liquid ingredients over dry.
- Stir, fill greased muffin tin with batter and bake for 15-20 minutes and cool.