This is not your typical cocktail party deviled egg! It is more like a brunch or lunch entrée.
- 8 hard-boiled eggs (use large ones)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (can be reduced fat)
- 1 to 2 teaspoons prepared mustard (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1 to 2 tablespoons very finely minced chives
- 1 recipe Cajun-Spiced Walnut “Crumb” Topping
- Peel the eggs, and halve them lengthwise. Pop out the yolks, and transfer to a large dinner plate. Add 2 teaspoons water, and begin to mash with a fork. As you mash, add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue to mash until very smooth. (Alternatively, use a food processor. See note above.)
- Carefully and slowly, use 2 teaspoons to fill each egg white cavity with the filling, distributed evenly among them. Lavishly sprinkle the topping all over the filled eggs, and serve cold or cool – plain, on toast, or on a salad.