This salad is a great starter to any meal. It is quick and easy to make and does not weigh you down before the next course! Toasted walnuts and endives are a perfect pair.
- 6 Belgian endives
- 1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse mustard (with seeds)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch of sea salt, or plain salt
- 1/3 cup walnut oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped California walnut pieces, toasted
- Pull off and set aside twenty whole leaves of endive—removing several attractive leaves from each head. Slice the remaining endives crosswise, on the bias, into 3/4-inch lengths. Separate the pieces as you work, transferring them to a large bowl.
- To make the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the Sherry wine vinegar, both mustards and the salt. Gradually add the oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly to make a smooth emulsion.
- Place five of the reserved whole endive leaves on each of four plates, crisscrossing and stacking them to make a five-point star.
- Toss the sliced endive with the toasted walnuts and the dressing. Divide among the salad plates, spooning it over the center of each star.