Farro, a grain that comes from Italy is the base for this salad. Add some tangy Granny Smith apple slices, crunchy shards of celery, toasted walnuts and chunks of sharp cheddar cheese. You may not go back to green salad!
- 1 cup farro
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 5 ounces cheddar, ½-inch cubes
- 2 Granny Smith apples, quartered, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the farro in a bowl and cover with plenty of cold water. Let sit for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, drain and place in a saucepan with cold water to cover by 2 inches. Add 1 teaspoon salt. On high heat, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for 15 minutes until tender, but slightly crunchy. Drain and spread onto a baking sheet to cool completely.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, walnut oil, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, gently combine the farro, walnuts, celery, cheddar apples, parsley, and dressing. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.