Fennel, Apple and Radicchio Salad with Walnuts
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, minced
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tart green apples, unpeeled
- approximately 3 large fennel bulbs with tops
- approximately 3 radicchio, thinly sliced (3 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups California walnuts, toasted, chopped
- Boston lettuce leaves
- Combine lemon juice, brown sugar, salt, pepper and parsley in a bowl. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Cut apples in half, core. Slice thinly or julienne. Add to dressing, stirring to coat. Set aside.
- Trim stems from fennel bulbs; set aside some of the fronds for garnish. Cut fennel in half lengthwise and cut into thin slices. Combine fennel and radicchio in large bowl.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of the walnuts for sprinkling on top. Add remaining walnuts and apple mixture; toss to combine.
- Plate on a bed of Boston lettuce leaves. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon of walnuts and garnish with reserved fennel fronds.