Pimentón or smoked paprika adds flavor to this spread topped with crunchy walnuts.
- 1 cup coarsely chopped California walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley leaves
- 1 small clove garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 cup low-fat/low-sodium cottage cheese
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup water or low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon ground pimentón or paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 to 8 slices of your favorite artisan bread, fresh or toasted
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Extra chopped California walnuts for sprinkling
- Ripe heirloom tomatoes – enough to slice thickly for 6 sandwiches
- Oregano (dried or fresh)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- To make the spread: Place the walnuts, parsley, and optional garlic in a blender or food processor, and pulse in spurts until the walnuts and garlic are finely ground and the parsley is feathery and all is combined. Add the feta cheese, cottage cheese, water or milk, and seasonings, and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl, cover tightly and chill until cold.
- To make the sandwiches: Brush each slice of bread with a little olive oil, then spread the topping thickly and sprinkle with extra chopped walnuts. Top with thick slices of tomato, a sprinkling of oregano and a few grinds of fresh black pepper. Serve open faced.
Use our Whole-Wheat Walnut Artisan Bread or find the best locally baked bread that you can; herbed or sourdough are very nice for this.