Crunchy and sweet, these walnut cookies are perfect for any occasion. A great alternative to traditional sugar cookies for the holidays these can be cut into festive shapes!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped California walnuts
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Cinnamon Glaze (recipe follows)
- Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl until fluffy; stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; add to butter mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined. Stir in walnuts and ginger. Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or until firm. (May be prepared up to a week ahead.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a portion of the dough, roll out 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board and cut into stars or other desired shapes.
- Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until lightly browned around the edges.
- Transfer cookies to a baking rack to cool before coating with a thin layer of Cinnamon Glaze. Store cookies in an airtight container.
- Stir together 2 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl until smooth.