I got the idea for this autumnal recipe after attending the walnut harvest. The flavors and colors meld together beautifully. - Aviva, www.thescramble.com
- 16 ounces gnocchi
- 1/2 butternut squash, peeled and diced (3 cups squash)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 large shallot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup walnuts, broken into large pieces
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste (optional)
- Prepare the gnocchi according to the package directions. Meanwhile, steam the squash with a couple of tablespoons of water in the microwave for 3 – 5 minutes until it is softened but not mushy. Drain it thoroughly.
- Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter and oil. When the butter turns brown at the edges, add the sage and shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 – 2 minutes until they are lightly browned. Add the walnuts and squash and sauté it, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until the squash starts to brown in spots.
- When the gnocchi is almost done cooking, remove 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Drain the gnocchi and add it and the reserved cooking liquid to the pot with the squash, and stir gently to combine. Mix in the cheese and salt and serve it immediately.