Chef Alex Stratta prepares this goat cheese filling for his Walnut Crepes. Any seasonal fruit will work beautifly, here Chef Alex uses figs.
For the Goat Cheese Filling:
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) plain goat cheese, at room temperature
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) Mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of ground pepper
To assemble the Crepes:
- 6 – 8 fresh figs, thinly sliced* (Chef Alex likes to soak them in Marsala wine before using them)
- 6 prepared Walnut Crepes
*Note: If fresh figs are not available, dried figs, if they are soft and moist, may be substituted. Thin slices of sweet, ripe plum or mango could also be used; choose something in-season and you can’t go wrong.
- To prepare the Goat Cheese Filling, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and, using a whisk or a hand-held electric mixer, beat until smooth and fluffy. If you are making the filling ahead of time, cover and refrigerate, but bring to room temperature before using.
- To assemble the crepes, first preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread one side of each crepe with about 3 tablespoons of goat cheese and walnut filling. Arrange a few slices of fig over the filling. Fold the crepe in half, the in half again, to make a triangular-shaped packet. Place the folded crepes on a large baking sheet.
- Just before serving, place the filled crepes in the preheated oven for 4–5 minutes, just to warm them slightly.
*Serving suggestion: Chef Alex Stratta plates these crepes alongside his Toasted Beet, Walnut and Frisee Salad.
Please note, nutritional information below reflects one serving of the Walnut Crepes plus the Goat Cheese and Fig filling. The nutritional information listed for the Walnut Crepes reflect that recipe as it stands alone.