Toasted walnuts, tart grapefruit sections and sweet dates are added to cooked quinoa and millet in this beautiful salad that is perfect as a main course at lunch, or a side dish at dinner.
- ½ teaspoon finely grated grapefruit zest
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup millet
- ¾ cup quinoa
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup walnut halves and pieces
- 2 grapefruits, washed
- ½ cup pitted dates, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- For the dressing, place the grapefruit zest in a small bowl. Add the vinegar and olive oil. Set aside.
- Place the millet and quinoa in a saucepan over medium high heat, shaking the pan constantly, to toast the grains, 4 minutes. Immediately add 2 ¼ cups water and ¾ teaspoon salt. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer until all of the moisture is absorbed and the grains are cooked, 15 to 18 minutes. Check the bottom of the pan periodically to see that the grains don’t burn. Remove the grains from the pan and place on a baking sheet. Spread the grains on the baking sheet and let cool.
- Place the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast until they are fragrant and light golden, 7 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool. Break the walnuts halves in half.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the tops and bottoms off the grapefruit to reveal the colored flesh. Place one of the cut sides down on a work surface. Using a small sharp knife, cut off the peel and white pith from top to bottom. Turn the fruit to the opposite cut side, and remove any white pith. Cut the grapefruit into sections, cutting between the membranes. Place the sections in a large salad bowl and set aside. With the center of the remaining grapefruit, squeeze 2 tablespoons of the juice adding it to the bowl with the dressing. Season the dressing with salt.
- In the large bowl containing the grapefruit sections, add the dates, walnuts, quinoa, millet and parsley. Add the dressing and toss together.