Impress guests with this unique lamb dish that brings together fresh herbs, fruit and grains.
- 4 lamb T-bones
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bunches mint (2 cups leaves only)
- 1/4 cup California walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup California walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 5 figs, dried, quartered
- 8 kumquats, sliced, without seeds or orange sections
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 6 mint leaves, torn
- Zest of one orange
- Combine all ingredients of the marinade. Marinate the lamb and allow to rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- For the pesto: Place mint, walnuts, garlic, olive oil and salt in the blender. Blend until the mixture is incorporated and has a coarse texture.
- For the barley mixture: In a sauté pan on high heat add the olive oil and barley; move constantly to toast the barley. Once the barley has become slightly golden add the water and cook down until the water has gone. Remove pan from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, add the walnuts, figs, kumquats and radishes. Top with mint leaves and orange zest.
- Remove lamb from marinade and place on a hot grill, allow to cook 3-4 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes after cooking and serve with barley and pesto.