Summer grilling and seasonal produce are at their best in this flavorful salad! Toasted walnuts add a delightful crunch while the avocado chipotle dressing gives a little kick!
- Avocado Chipotle Dressing
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons each: olive oil, lime juice and orange juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon each: sugar and garlic salt
- 2 ears fresh corn, husks and silk removed
- 2 large jalapeno peppers
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and quartered
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- Freshly squeezed lime juice and sea salt to taste
- 4 cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup very small cubes chipotle Cheddar or pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup rinsed and drained canned black beans
- Cheese Walnut Chips (recipe follows)
Avocado Chipotle Dressing:
- Puree all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor. Transfer to a small bowl and press plastic wrap onto the surface. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Grill corn, peppers and onion over medium-high heat until lightly charred on all sides; remove from grill. Cut corn away from cob. Cut jalapeno peppers into thin slices and cut bell pepper and onion into bite-size strips. Drizzle with lime juice and season to taste with salt; let cool or chill.
- Pile lettuce into 4 salad bowls. Top with equal amounts of grilled vegetables, walnuts, cheese, and black beans, forming rows of each. Serve with avocado dressing and Cheese Walnut Chips
Cheese Walnut Chips
- Cut 2 corn tortillas into 8 wedges (preferably a homemade-style tortilla). Place on a foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons shredded pepper Jack or chipotle Cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoon finely chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 400°F for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned.