This flavorful salad is on the menu at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel in Yellowstone National Park. Created by Chef Jim Chapman, CEC.
For the pears:
- 5 Bosc pears, peeled and halved with seeds removed
- 1 quart red wine (Merlot or Zinfandel work well)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
For the walnuts:
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup California walnut halves
For the balsamic glaze:
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 10 1-ounce pieces Cambozola (blue) cheese, cut into diamond shapes
- 1 pound assorted greens (red oak leaf, green oak leaf, frisee)
- Prepare the pears by bringing the red wine, sugar and cinnamon stick to boil.
- Add pears and return to boil, and then lower to simmer.
- Cook pears until tender and easily pierced by paring knife. Let cool in poaching liquid.
- When cool, drain and cook on clean oiled grill or grill pan until you have nice, dark grill markings.
- Prepare the walnuts by combining the egg white, water, cayenne pepper, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add the walnuts and toss with egg white mixture. Place in a colander to drain.
- Spread walnuts on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil and bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Let cool and break apart.
- Prepare the balsamic glaze by combining the sugar and balsamic vinegar in a medium saucepan. Cook until a syrup forms, then remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- When you're ready to serve the salad, set out salad plates. On each one place a small bouquet of greens next to cheese, place two walnut halves on top of cheese. Fan pear half and arrange around cheese, and drizzle with balsamic glaze.