This flavorful salad is on the menu at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge and the Lake Yellowstone Hotel in Yellowstone National Park. Created by Chef Jim Chapman, CEC.
- 5 Bosc pears, peeled, halved, seeds removed
- 1 quart red wine (Merlot or Zinfandel work well)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup California walnut halves
- 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 10, 1-ounce pieces Cambozola (blue) cheese, cut into diamond shapes
- 1 pound assorted greens (red oak leaf, green oak leaf, frisee)
- Bring the red wine, sugar and cinnamon stick to boil.
- Add pears and return to boil, and then lower to simmer.
- Cook pears until tender and easily pierced by paring knife. Let cool in poaching liquid.
- When cool, drain and cook on clean oiled grill or grill pan until you have nice, dark grill markings.
- Combine the egg white, water, cayenne pepper, salt and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add the walnuts and toss with egg white mixture. Place in a colander to drain.
- Spread walnuts on a baking sheet that has been lined with foil and bake at 350°F for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted. Let cool and break apart.
- Combine the sugar and balsamic vinegar in a medium saucepan. Cook until a syrup forms, then remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Set out salad plates. On each one place a small bouquet of greens next to cheese, place two walnut halves on top of cheese. Fan pear half and arrange around cheese, and drizzle with balsamic glaze.