This flavorful salad with toasted walnuts is perfect for a summer picnic or as a side dish.
For the Salad:
- 1 1/2 pounds each: small Yukon Gold and red potatoes
- 1 cup small ham cubes (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup 1/2 inch diced red bell pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Quarter potatoes and place in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife; set aside to cool.
- Spray a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add ham; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until lightly brown, stirring frequently. Add to bowl with potatoes, bell peppers and green onions.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad. Lightly toss to coat potatoes with dressing, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (at least 1 hour). Just before serving, stir in walnuts and basil.
*Note: Salad may be prepared a day in advance, but add the walnuts and basil just before serving for the best flavor and texture.