This flavorful salad with toasted walnuts is perfect for a summer picnic or as a side dish.
- 1 1/2 pounds each: Yukon Gold and red potatoes, small
- 1 cup ham cubes (about 8 ounces), small
- 1 cup red bell pepper, 1/2-inch dices
- 3/4 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons basil, fresh, snipped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- Quarter potatoes and place in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam for 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender when pierced with a sharp knife; set aside to cool.
- Spray a small skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Add ham; cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes until lightly brown, stirring frequently. Add to bowl with potatoes, bell peppers and green onions.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad. Lightly toss to coat potatoes with dressing, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve (at least 1 hour). Just before serving, stir in walnuts and basil.
Note: Salad may be prepared a day in advance, but add the walnuts and basil just before serving for the best flavor and texture.