These wickedly-good frozen treats are perfect for young kids and the young-at-heart. Chewy, walnut cookies sandwich a thick layer of your favorite ice cream. This recipe is also delightfully easy to make.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1-3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups California walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Ice cream
- Toasting Walnuts: In large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast walnuts, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together with a hand mixer, about 2 minutes. Add honey and egg, beat to incorporate.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir to combine. Mix in walnut pieces and chocolate chips.
- Evenly place 1 tbsp portions of cookie dough 2 inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Let cool.
- Place a scoop of ice cream on the bottom cookie, then gently top the ice cream with a second cookie. Repeat process with remaining cookies and ice cream. Serve immediately or wrap individually in plastic wrap and place in freezer for up to two weeks.