Move over granola! Muesli is utterly packed with fiber and flavor.
- 4 cups/340 g rolled oats or rolled barley
- 2 cups/230 g walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1 cup/130 g sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup/40 g plump raisins
- 1 crisp apple, grated
- 1 cup/240 ml plain low fat or nonfat yogurt or kefir
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 tablespoon unbleached raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Toss together the oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds, olive oil, salt, and cinnamon and spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet/tray. Toast until fragrant and slightly golden,15 minutes. Cool.
- While the muesli bakes, make the walnut crumble. Toss together walnuts, sugar and a splash of water in a small pan over medium heat until the sugar caramelizes and glazes the walnuts lightly. Set aside to cool and roughly chop.
- Fill four bowls with 1/2 cup muesli each. Garnish with raisins, grated apple, and top with yogurt or kefir. Sprinkle each bowl with walnut crumble. Stir together and eat, with a touch of honey if desired.
*The remaining muesli and crumble can be stored in an airtight container.