Lentils and walnuts both contribute to the creamy texture of this savory spread. Enjoy it with vegetables or as a sandwich spread.
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and black or red pepper to taste
- Wash the lentils, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, and cook until soft, about 1 hour.
- Drain the lentils and combine with the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth, adding water as necessary to achieve a spreadable consistency.
From the book Eating Well for Optimum Health by Andrew Weil, M.D. © 2000 by Andrew Weil, M.D. Published in arrangement with Alfred A. Knopf, a division of Random House, Inc.