Topped with crunchy walnuts, this sweet potato casserole is one-of-a-kind with layers of sweet potatoes, yams and fresh pears, drizzled with maple syrup!
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 pounds yams, peeled, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 pears, large, ripe, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup California walnuts, coarsely broken or chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly butter a 13 X 9-inch baking dish.
- Place yams and sweet potatoes in a large pot fitted with a steamer basket and steam for 15 minutes or until almost fully cooked. (Or place in a large covered bowl with 1-inch of water and microwave on HIGH).
- Place half in the bottom of prepared dish and top with half the pears. Repeat layers.
- Stir together brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the top. Drizzle with syrup and dot with butter. Top with walnuts and bake for 30 minutes.