This pesto is easy to make and can be kept on-hand for several days. Enjoy it as part of her Spinach Lasagna recipe, or simply toss it with noodles. This pesto also makes a tasty sandwich spread or veggie dip.
- 3 packed cups fresh basil leaves
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup lightly toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: additional extra virgin olive oil (for storage)
- *Try this with Spinach Lasagna with Walnut Pesto
- Place the basil leaves and garlic in a food processor or blender, and mix well. Add the walnuts, and continue to blend until the nuts are finely ground.
- Keep the machine running as you drizzle in the olive oil. When you have a smooth paste, transfer to a bowl, and stir in the parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- If you are not going to use the pesto right away, place in a container that has a tight-fitting lid. Smooth out the top surface of the pesto, and pour on enough olive oil to cover it completely. This creates an air-proof seal that helps preserve it well. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator.