This moist banana walnut bread is the perfect complement to your morning coffee or tea. The marriage between the rich banana flavor and hearty walnuts makes this recipe irresistible.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (3 medium or 4 small bananas)
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 11/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup walnuts, in halves or large pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease and flour a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan, or coat it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine the butter and both sugars and beat until the mixture looks like a stiff paste—a hand-held mixer is useful for this. Add the banana, eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir them together, using a fork or whisk, so the dry ingredients are well mixed. Add to the banana mixture and beat on low speed just until the wet and dry ingredients are combined, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the walnuts and mix again on low speed just until they are incorporated.
- Spread the batter evenly in the prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 – 70 minutes, or until a wooden skewer or sharp knife inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, or with just a few moist crumbs on it, but no raw batter. Cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then turn the loaf out and onto a rack to cool completely
- Makes one 9- x 5-inch loaf, or 16 – 18 slices about ½-inch thick