Celebrate this holiday season in style with a unique take on a classic appetizer. These savoury oysters feature California walnuts and sambuca liqueur.
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/4 cup California walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 tablespoons sambuca or anise liqueur
- 24 oysters, shucked
- Red pepper sauce
- Rock salt (optional)
- Toasting Walnuts: In large, dry skillet over medium-high heat, toast walnuts, stirring occasionally, until lightly brown, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Walnut/Panko Mixture: Combine panko, walnuts and parmesan in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a small frying pan, heat butter over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté. Spoon out 2 tablespoons (30 mL) and stir into the walnut/panko mixture.
- Add shallot, spinach and anise liqueur to frying pan and sauté on high heat until spinach is wilted, about 3 minutes; remove and let cool slightly.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, space oysters evenly. Top with 3 to 4 spinach leaves, a few drops of red pepper sauce and 2 teaspoons (10 mL) walnut/panko mixture.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges on a bed of rock salt.