This East-meets-West baked shrimp offers up a light and tasty appetizer. Citrus shines in the Ginger Orange Sauce, which is void of granulated sugar found in most sweet & sour sauce.
- 1 pound prawns, large, tail on
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1-2 tablespoons hot chili sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated, fresh
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, very finely chopped
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 cup orange juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced, fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar or lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Stir together prawns, honey, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Place breadcrumbs and walnuts in a small bowl. Holding each shrimp by the tail, dip in egg whites; then roll in breadcrumb mixture, pressing to coat. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with Ginger Orange Dipping Sauce.
- Simmer orange juice and minced fresh ginger in a small saucepan until reduced to 1/2 cup. Remove half the sauce into a cup and add corn starch, stirring until smooth.
- Return this mixture to the sauce pan, combining all the orange liquid and blend well. Stir in honey and rice vinegar or lime juice. Serve with shrimp.