Toasted California walnuts add crunch to this light, flavorful, colorful pasta dish that features smoky pancetta and peppery arugula.
- 1 cup pancetta (Italian sausage, lean bacon, or vegetables can be substituted), chopped
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, medium, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped, fresh
- 1/4 cup thyme, chopped, fresh
- 1 cup arugula, chopped, fresh
- 1/4 cup olive oil, light
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Romano and Parmesan cheeses, freshly grated
- 1 pound penne or linguine pasta
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil, and add the pasta. Cook 10 minutes or until al dente, drain and reserve.
- Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan, and add the onion, garlic and pancetta. Sauté for 5 minutes, or until the pancetta is crisp and golden.
- Add white wine, basil and thyme, cook 3 minutes. Add arugula, walnuts, extra-virgin olive oil, and salt and freshly grated white pepper to taste, then add to the reserved pasta and toss well.
- Divide the pasta evenly among four dinner plates, top with grated cheese and serve.