Delicious orzo recipe that can be served as an entrée or side dish. Using frozen, cubed butternut squash saves the time and effort required for a whole squash.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried sage and dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
- Combine squash, olive oil, herbs, red pepper and salt. Spread on prepared pan. Bake 12 minutes. Stir. Add walnuts; bake additional 5-8 minutes until squash is tender and walnuts lightly toasted.
- While squash is roasting, cook orzo in salted water according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water.
- In a large bowl combine hot pasta, squash and walnuts. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Add some of the reserved pasta cooking water if needed to moisten. Serve immediately.