This healthy eggplant and California walnut dip makes eating the Mediterranean way easy!
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 pita breads
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pierce eggplant with tines of fork and wrap tightly in foil. Place eggplant on baking sheet and roast at 425°F 45 minutes to 1 hour, until soft; cool slightly.
- Halve eggplant lengthwise and scoop out pulp into a blender or food processor; puree and set aside. In dry skillet over medium-high heat, cook walnuts until lightly toasted, about 1 to 2 minutes; stir into eggplant pulp. Add mint, lemon juice, garlic, oil and salt and pepper. Cover and chill slightly. Cut each pita into 6 wedges.
- Place on baking sheet, sprinkle with cheese and broil until pitas are lightly toasted and cheese melts. Serve pitas with dip.