The walnuts add crunch and flavor to the classic pairing of filet mignon and blue cheese.
- 4 filet mignons, 8-ounces each
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup Sweet & Spicy walnuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup demi-glace*
- 1/4 cup butter
- Salt & pepper to taste
*Demi-glace (also known as demi-glaze) is a combination of brown sauce, beef or veal stock and Madeira wine or sherry. All ingredients are reduced by half to concentrate flavor. You can buy demi-glace in specialty grocery stores, or you can use reduced beef stock or a good red wine in its place.
- Season the filets with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Heat a cast iron skillet (or other heavy bottomed pan) to very hot. Add a tiny bit of olive oil to the pan, swirl to coat the bottom of the pan, and add the filets. Sear until well caramelized on both sides, and then finish cooking in the oven to the desired temperature.
- Gently mix the sweet & spicy walnuts and cheese together, and divide evenly on top of the filets. Return the filets to the oven just until the cheese is melted.
- Arrange the filets on a serving platter and reserve. Deglaze the cooking pan with the lemon juice, scraping all the brown bits up from the bottom of the pan. Add the demi-glace and bring to a boil. Whisk in the butter quickly and remove from the heat. Season if necessary with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the demi-glace over the top.