Deceptively simple! These wonderful balls will make you feel like you’re getting away with eating cookie dough – but it’s actually all ground walnut. I am tempted to call these April Fools Cookie Dough!
- Nonstick spray
- 2 cups walnut halves
- Scant ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (use “B” grade for stronger maple flavor)
- 1 tablespoon granulated or turbinado sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Spray the interior and blade of a food processor with nonstick spray for easy handling. Add the walnuts and a scant ½ teaspoon salt, and grind to a powder.
- Add the maple syrup (2 tablespoons for “regular” palates; 3 tablespoons for sweet tooth types) and continue to buzz the machine until it becomes walnut butter.
- Transfer the mix to a bowl (careful of the food processor blade!) and set aside.
- In a second bowl or on a plate, combine the sugar and cinnamon.
- Use your hands to form 1-inch balls from the walnut mixture, and roll each of them in the cinnamon sugar until thoroughly coated. Transfer the finished balls to a shallow container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Cover the container, and store the balls in the freezer. They will solidify nicely, but will stay soft. Eat them from there!