Create simply delicious spiced walnut snacks and appetizers. Adjust the ingredients to create savory, hot or sweet delights.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups California walnut halves and pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 225°F and line a large shallow baking pan with foil.
- Combine egg white and water; beat until foamy. Add walnut halves and pieces and toss to coat. Pour the mixture into a strainer and let drain 2-3 minutes.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and allspice in a plastic or paper bag; shake to mix. Add the walnuts; hold the bag shut and shake vigorously to coat the nuts. Spread the nuts in one layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely, stirring occasionally and breaking nuts apart if stuck together. Don't worry if they stick to the foil, it is easy to peel them off.
- Store in a tightly-capped jar.