Create simply delicious spiced walnut snacks by adjusting the ingredients to create savory, hot or sweet delights. The mix of cinnamon and allspice in this recipe makes the perfect combination for the winter season. Wrap the walnuts in clear cellophane and garnish with a red bow for a festive holiday treat.
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 cups California walnut halves and pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat oven to 225°F and line a large shallow baking pan with foil.
- Combine egg white and water; beat until foamy. Add walnut halves and pieces and toss to coat. Pour the mixture into a strainer and let drain 2-3 minutes.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon and allspice in a plastic or paper bag; shake to mix. Add the walnuts; hold the bag shut and shake vigorously to coat the nuts. Spread the nuts in one layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Cool completely, stirring occasionally and breaking nuts apart if stuck together. Don't worry if they stick to the foil, it is easy to peel them off.
- Store in a tightly-capped jar.