Indulgent desserts are known to tempt our taste buds during the holiday season. This Spiced Mayan Chocolate Coated Walnuts recipe lets you have your chocolate and eat it too! Gift the walnuts in a clear wax paper bag and and embellish with a red and white ribbon.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups California walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- In a large microwavable bowl, add butter, cayenne and cinnamon. Microwave on high until butter is melted, about 30 seconds. Whisk ingredients together to combine. Add walnuts and stir to coat.
- Sprinkle with sugar and toss to coat walnuts. Pour mixture onto a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in center of oven for about one hour at 250°F, stirring about every 15 minutes, until walnuts are a deep golden color and toasted.
- Sift cocoa over warm walnuts. Let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.