This easy version of lasagna uses the rich taste of spinach and walnut pesto instead of a heavy Bolognese sauce.
- A little olive oil for the pan
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed (or 2 10- ounce packages fresh baby spinach leaves, or 2
- 10-ounce packages frozen, chopped spinach, defrosted)
- 2 pounds nonfat ricotta cheese or nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 cup Walnut Pesto
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1 24-ounce jar low-sugar tomato sauce (or about2 3/4 cups of your favorite sauce)
- 16 fresh, uncooked green (spinach) lasagna noodles or, if using dried, 16 no-boil noodles
- 1/2 pound low-fat mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Lightly oil a 9 X 13-inch baking pan. If using fresh spinach, chop it fine. If using frozen, chopped spinach, make sure it thoroughly defrosted and squeeze out all the excess water.
- Place the ricotta or cottage cheese in a large bowl. Stir in the spinach, pesto, garlic, salt, pepper, half the parmesan, and the walnuts. Mix well. Spread half the tomato sauce in the bottom of the pan. Place a layer of uncooked noodles over the sauce. Spoon about 1/3 of the ricotta or cottage filling in dabs over the noodles (you can spread it a little, but not too much) and sprinkle with 1/3 of the grated mozzarella. Follow with another layer of sauce, then noodles, followed by another 1/3 of the filling, and another 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat one more time, and then finish up with a final layer of noodles. You will have some parmesan left over.
- If you are using fresh noodles, bake uncovered. If you are using dried noodles, cover the pan tightly with foil.
- Bake for 50 minutes, uncovering the pan (if applicable) during the last 15 minutes, during which time you can sprinkle on the reserved parmesan. (In the case of the uncovered pan, if the top of the lasagna becomes as brown as you like it before the full baking time is up, cover loosely with foil and continue baking, so it won’t get too dark.) Remove from the oven and let rest for about 10 minutes before serving.