East meets West with this beautiful blend of classic Korean flavours combined with crunchy walnuts atop a succulent flank steak, in this modern recipe. Combining homemade and readymade fare makes this a deliciously simple meal for any occasion.
- 2 cups California walnut pieces, coarsely chopped
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 lb flank steak
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 small baguette, thinly sliced diagonally into 8-10 equal parts
- 1 cup kimchi, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine walnuts, maple syrup and soy sauce. Spread mixture onto a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes until light golden brown. Let cool.
- Brush steak with oil and season with salt and pepper. Preheat grill or grill pan to high heat and grill steak to desired doneness. Let rest.
- Lightly oil and grill the baguette slices on the bbq or in grill pan.
- In a bowl, add walnut mixture, kimchi, onion and bean sprouts. Thinly slice the steak crosswise and divide evenly among 8 to 10 baguette slices. Top steak with walnut kimchi. Serve immediately.