Don't let your taste buds have to choose between sweet or spicy! With this Sweet and Spicy Walnuts recipe, you can have the best of both worlds for a delicious holiday treat. Bundle the walnuts in a clear bag before placing in a cone made of festive holiday paper. For the final touch, tie with a corresponding bow.
Recipe provided courtesy of Chef Rob Stevens, The Inn at Tres Pinos.
- 4 cups California walnut halves and pieces
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss walnuts with egg whites.
- Mix sugar with cayenne pepper and toss with the walnuts and egg whites.
- Spread walnuts on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking oil.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until walnuts are crisp and caramelized. Let cool and enjoy.
- Serve with Seared Filet Mignon with Blue Cheese or as an appetizer, snack or dessert topping.