Toasted walnut pesto, flageolets, black beans and haricot verts with savory seasoning make enticing lettuce wraps.
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, fresh, tightly packed
- 1/2 cup parsley sprigs, flat leaf, tightly packed
- 2 teaspoons sage, fresh, chopped
- 1/2 cup California walnut pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons orange juice, fresh
- 1/2 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 1/2 cups flageolets, or navy beans, cooked and drained (or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, cooked and drained (or canned, rinsed and drained)
- 1 1/2 cups haricot verts, or green beans, blanched and drained
- 24 romaine lettuce leaves, small, whole
- 24 California walnut halves, toasted
- Small sprigs basil, parsley or sage (optional, as needed)
- Black pepper, freshly ground, as needed
- Coarse salt, as needed
- To make walnut pesto, place basil, parsley, sage, walnuts, cheese and garlic in food processor and process until finely ground. Add juice, then with motor running, slowly add oil and process until mixture is thick and emulsified. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Toss flageolets, black beans and haricots verts together in large bowl. Add pesto and toss to combine and coat evenly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons bean mixture into each lettuce leaf. Top each with a walnut half and, if desired, garnish with an herb sprig.