This toothsome combination of quinoa, walnuts and kale served with a tart vinaigrette works equally well for lunch, a weeknight side dish, or even packed for a picnic or day at the beach.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1/2 cup chopped California walnuts
- 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup julienned kale
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
For the Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Makes 1/4 cup or 4 ounces Lemon Vinaigrette (If too tart, add a pinch of sugar.)
- Rinse quinoa under running water in a strainer.
- Add quinoa, water and thyme together in a pan, bring to a boil; then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 20 minutes. When cooked, remove from pan and spread on a pan to cool in refrigerator.
- Coat chopped walnuts in olive oil and toast until golden brown in a sauté pan on the stove or brown in the oven.
- Combine cooked quinoa with all of the remaining ingredients together. Mix with enough lemon vinaigrette to lightly coat ingredients.