This fresh take on Brussels sprouts is a perfect solution to fall meals. Choose from three different preparations all improved by the addition of a nutty, savory relish.
- 1-pound medium sized (2-inch diameter) Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 cup hand-torn sourdough bread, lightly toasted until golden brown (approximately 1/2 inch rough pieces.) This ingredient is optional.
For the Walnut Relish:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups California walnut pieces
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons sea or kosher salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnut oil (roasted if available)
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup chives (cut diagonally in 1/4 inch slices)
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Melt butter in sauté pan add walnut pieces, salt and pepper and sauté until walnuts are golden brown. Drain on paper towel.
- In a food processor pulse the walnuts until coarsely chopped.
- Add walnuts to large mixing bowl; add oils, vinegar and herbs. Let rest one hour to meld flavors.
- Three options for preparing Brussels sprouts:
a.) Separate the leaves and blanch for 10-15 seconds and shock in ice bath. Remove from pan and drain. Mix with Walnut Relish.
b.) Slice Brussels sprouts in halves and blanch for 3 minutes, then shock in ice bath, drain. Toss blanched Brussels in enough olive oil to coat and roast under the broiler until lightly toasted (about 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally). Toss with Walnut Relish and serve.
c.) Shred Brussels sprouts thinly on a mandolin or grater. Blanch for 30 seconds, and then shock in ice bath. Toss shredded Brussels sprouts with Walnut Relish and serve.
* May add toasted sourdough pieces (optional) to any preparation.