Delicious and simple walnut biscotti recipe with Middle-Eastern flavors from Israel. Anise seed adds a distinctive taste to these biscotti and makes every bite out of this world.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups roughly chopped California walnuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1 teaspoon anise seed
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In bowl beat butter and sugar with hand mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well combined. In small bowl whisk together flour and baking powder, walnuts, dried cranberries, anise and lemon zest. Add to butter mixture and mix well. Shape dough into a large, slightly flattened log, about 4-inches x 12-inces.
- Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in center of preheated oven until golden, approximately 30 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices (diagonally for longer cookies or straight across for smaller).
- Return biscotti to baking sheet, cut side down, and bake for an additional 10 minutes. Flip to other side and bake 10 minutes longer, or until completely dry.