Makes one 10-inch tart
- Alex Stratta’s Walnut Tart Dough, rolled out and prebaked (or a purchased ready-made pie-shell)*
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur liquor
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
- For the “sour” whipped cream topping
- 2/3 cup chilled heavy cream
- 1/4 cup crème fraiche, or sour cream
- *If using a 9-inch unbaked, ready-made pie shell, bake the filled tart as directed below in a 325°F oven, but increase baking time to 35–40 minutes.
- If you are making the tart dough, prepare and prebake it as directed in the recipe. Cool before filling. If you are using a ready-made crust, there is no need to prebake it.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. To prepare the filling, cut the butter into several pieces and place in a large saucepan. Set over medium-high heat, then stir or swirl the butter frequently, swirling until the butter has turned from yellow to pale brown and begins to smell nutty, about 7–9 minutes. Immediately pour the browned butter, including any solids in the bottom of the pan, into a large bowl. Cool for about 15 minutes.
- Stir the vanilla extract into the butter, then whisk in the eggs, sugar, salt and Grand Marnier. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust and bake about 25 minutes, until set and the edges have puffed slightly. It is okay if the center remains somewhat soft, and it will firm up as the tart cools.
- To prepare the whipped cream topping, whip the cream until it is very stiff, then fold in the crème fraiche. Refrigerate until serving.
- When you are ready to serve, cut the tart into wedges, and garnish each slice with a dollop of the cream topping. The tart can be served warm or at room temperature and refrigerate any leftovers.
Please note, nutritional information below reflects one serving of the Walnut and Brown Butter Tart with Sour Whipped Cream using the Walnut Tart Dough recipe.