A steaming cup of green tea is a perfect accompaniment to this savory Japanese dessert. Wow your holiday guests by serving this not-too-sweet dessert in addition to your traditional holiday baking.
For the Dough:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup ground California walnuts
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
For the Walnut and Red Bean Paste:
- 1 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup red bean paste
- 8 (2-inch x 2-inch) squares of parchment paper
- 8 California walnut halves
- In bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, ground walnuts, sugar and salt. Drizzle with water and oil and stir to form shaggy dough. Place dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces.
- Roll out each piece into a disc that is 1/2-inch thick. Combine ground walnuts and red bean paste. Divide and shape into 8 balls. Wrap dough around balls of paste, pinching bottoms to seal. Place on squares of parchment paper and top each with a walnut half. Arrange in a single layer in a steamer. Cover and cook over rapidly boiling water for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container. Can be frozen up to one month.