A steaming cup of green tea is a perfect accompaniment to this savory Japanese dessert. Wow your holiday guests by serving this not-too-sweet dessert in addition to your traditional holiday baking.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup ground California walnuts
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- Walnut and Red Bean Paste
- 1 cup California walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup red bean paste*
- 8 2” x 2” squares of parchment paper
- 8 California walnut halves
- In bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, ground walnuts, sugar and salt. Drizzle with water and oil and stir to form shaggy dough. Place dough on a floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Divide into 8 pieces.
- Roll out each piece into a disc that is 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick. Combine ground walnuts and red bean paste. Divide and shape into 8 balls. Wrap dough around balls of paste, pinching bottoms to seal. Place on squares of parchment paper and top each with a walnut half. Arrange in a single layer in a steamer. Cover and cook over rapidly boiling water for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in airtight container. Can be frozen up to one month.