For the berries:
- 5 1/2 cups mixed berries (use fresh or frozen raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or red currants)
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the crumble topping:
- 1/2 cup finely chopped California walnuts
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a large bowl toss the berries together with the sugar and vanilla until coated.
- Divide the berries among 4 oven-safe bowls or ramekins of at least 2 cup capacity.
- To make the topping, put the walnuts, flour, sugar and butter in a medium bowl. With your fingertips or a fork, rub the ingredients together until the mixture looks crumbly.
- Sprinkle over the berries; it will be a light topping.
- Bake for 15 - 18 minutes, or until the berries are bubbling and the topping is lightly browned. Cool slightly before serving.
- Serving suggestion: The crumble goes nicely with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.