If you're looking for a unique spin on bread pudding--here it is. Creamy fontina cheese combines with walnuts and spinach to elevates this homey side dish to something extra special.
- 1/2 loaf sourdough bread (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts (food processor works best)
- 3/4 cup fontina cheese (grated)
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil and cook onions until soft, add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook until onions and mushrooms are half their volume and are slightly brown
- Fold in spinach and cook until wilted.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half and milk together, add onion-mushroom mix, walnuts and cheese.
- Pour over bread cubes and let sit until liquid is absorbed completely, approximately one hour.
- Bake in a 9 x 13-inch pan at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes covered. Remove cover and continue baking until top starts to brown (approximately 5-10 minutes) and a knife or skewer when inserted in the middle comes out clean.