This dish is versatile as it can be used as a sweet appetizer or as a subtle dessert.
For the Roasted Pears:
- 2 ripe yet firm pears (Comice, D’Anjou)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
For the Walnut Butter:
- 1 cup California walnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Pinch salt
- 3 slices levain, whole-wheat, or sourdough bread (each about 5 inches long and 1/4-inch thick) cut in half or small, whole grain baguette sliced into 6 pieces
- Roasted pears
- Walnut butter
- To make the roasted pears, preheat the oven to 400°F. Peel the pears and cut them in half. Remove the cores. Place cut side down on a baking sheet. Sprinkle the sugar over the top. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool and cut into 1/2-inch pieces and put the pieces in a bowl. Stir in the parsley. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the walnut butter, put all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until they make a paste. Put in a bowl and set aside.
- To assemble the crostini, toast the bread in the toaster or under the broiler. Spread some of the walnut butter on top of the bread, spoon some pears on top.