These muffins are a perfect breakfast or snack!
- 2 cups firmly packed finely grated carrots
- Juice of 1 large orange
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 cup honey, liquefied in microwave (30 sec.)
- 1/2 cup crushed or chopped pineapple, drained
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup California walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the carrots, orange juice, vanilla, olive oil, honey, and pineapple until well blended.
- In another bowl, stir together the flours, baking soda, and spices. Mix in the walnuts.
- Blend the dry ingredients into the carrot mixture, stirring until just mixed.
- Pour the batter into a 12-cup muffin pan lined with paper liners. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Note: You can also pour the batter into a nonstick 8-inch-square baking pan and bake for 45-60 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, cut into 12 pieces, and serve.