The amount of batter will yield at least eight crepes, so don’t worry if you have to make a “test” crepe or two to master the technique. Be sure to see Chef Alex Stratta demonstrate how he makes this recipe in this video!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk, warmed slightly
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup California walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2–4 tablespoons, or more, additional milk if necessary, to thin the crepe batter (this milk need not be warmed)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt, crack the eggs into the flour and begin to whisk together. Slowly add in the milk and butter so the batter comes together. Strain the batter through a fine mesh kitchen strainer to remove any lumps. Stir in the chopped walnuts and chives. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours so the flavors come together.
- The batter should be quite runny, about the consistency of heavy cream, so it spreads thinly and evenly over the bottom of the hot pan. Stir in additional milk if it seems too thick.
- Heat a 9 -10-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat it lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in a generous 1/4 cup batter and tilt the pan in all directions to coat the bottom fairly evenly. Don't worry if the shape isn't perfect, it won't matter when the crepe is folded, as it is served. Cook about 1 minute, until browned on the bottom. Nudge the crepe loose with a spatula, lift the edge, then turn and cook the other side for about 30 seconds. (A second spatula, or your fingers if you are careful not to touch the hot surface of the pan, can be helpful in lifting and flipping the crepe neatly.) Slide the finished crepe out onto a large plate.
- Cook the remaining batter the same way, coating the pan with nonstick spray between each crepe, and stacking them atop one another as they are done. They won't stick together, so it is not necessary to put anything between them.
- If you are making them ahead, when thoroughly cool, cover and refrigerate.