Walnut-Crusted Salmon with Walnut Buttermilk Cheese Sauce
By Janet Ryan
For the Walnut Buttermilk Cheese Sauce:
- 1 cup California walnuts
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
For The Walnut-Crusted Salmon:
- 1/3 cup California walnuts
- 1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 4 6-ounce portions of salmon fillets with skin on one side
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
For The Walnut Buttermilk Cheese Sauce:
- Place walnuts in a bowl and pour the buttermilk over them. Cover and refrigerate for 8-12 hours; best overnight.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the walnuts, buttermilk, Feta cheese, heavy cream and pepper until smooth.
For the Walnut-Crusted Salmon:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Stem, wash and drain spinach. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Rinse and dry fish. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For coating mixture, finely chop walnuts with bread crumbs in a food processor. Place on a dinner plate.
- Dip the flesh side of the salmon in the beaten egg, then in the walnut crumb mixture. Place on a baking pan, skin-side-down. Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 12-15 minutes, or until cooked through.
- While fish is cooking, wilt spinach in a nonstick sauté pan; water that clings to leaves from washing will be sufficient to keep it from burning. This will take 1 minute or less.