Whether part of the Chicken Roulade with Walnut and Currant Cornbread Stuffing recipe, or on its own, this dish is a great addition to any meal.
- Half (about 2 1/2 cups) of the Walnut and Currant Cornbread recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 cup diced fennel or celery
- 2 tablespoons fennel leaves
- 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Place the diced, crumbled cornbread into a medium-size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, cook onions and celery or fennel in butter or olive oil until tender, stirring occasionally, but do not brown. Add garlic, fennel leaves, rosemary, cayenne, salt and pepper. Cook 2 minutes.
- Pour this mixture over the cornbread crumbs, mixing well. Cool before using.