I had never tried this combination before, but one taste and I was hooked. It takes minutes to whip up toasted walnuts, anchovies, fennel seeds, fresh mint and lots of fruity olive oil in a food processor. How would I describe the spread in one word? Heavenly!
- 1/2 cup, 4 ounces California walnuts, lightly toasted
- 6 anchovies, soaked in cold water 5 minutes and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, toasted
- 8 sprigs fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 French bread loaf, sliced and toasted
- Mint sprigs as a garnish
- Combine the walnuts, anchovies, fennel seeds, mint and water in a food processor and process until chunky. Add the oil slowly to the mixture and continue to process until it is well mixed. Season with salt. You may need to add more oil if the mixture is too thick.
- Spread the paste on the bread and serve immediately. Garnish with mint sprigs.