- 1/2 cup/112 g unsalted softened butter
- 1/2 cup/100g raw sugar
- 1 cup ground walnuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 6 pieces raisin walnut, semolina-raisin bread or other favorite whole-grain bread
- 1 ripe Anjou or Bartlett pear, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- Make the walnut cream or frangipane: cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the ground walnuts and beat together. Add the eggs, one at a time, and then vanilla extract. Stir in the oat flour and salt, scraping the bottom for any dry or unmixed bits, until the mixture is evenly fluffy and smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread about one quarter of the walnut cream generously over the bread and fan the pears over the top. Stir together the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and sprinkle over the top. Bake on the prepared baking sheet until puffed and golden, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with chopped chocolate.