Gremolata is an Italian condiment that typically contains garlic, parsley and lemon zest. Some versions contain capers, olives or other intensely flavored ingredients. This version is fragrant yet mild with a slight sweetness from the walnuts. Serve it with grilled meats, fish or vegetables.
- 1/2 cup California walnuts
- 1/2 cup parsley sprigs, lightly packed
- 1 medium lemon, zested
- 1/8 teaspoon minced or pressed garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Finely chop walnuts to the size of rice grains, to make about 1/3 cup. Place on a dry baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring once or twice. Cool.
- Rinse parsley and pat dry between sheets of paper towel. Finely chop to measure 1/4 cup. Place in a small bowl.
- Remove yellow part of lemon zest with a zester or fine grater. Add to parsley.
- Stir in cooled walnuts, garlic, salt and pepper.