Give your salads a punch of flavor and texture with this recipe from Chef Trent Page, one of our featured chefs.
- 2 small bunches Tuscan kale (also called black or lacinato kale), stems and center ribs removed, and sliced crosswise into thin ribbons, 6 to 8 cups
- 2 small bunches arugula, large stems removed, 6 cups
- 1 small head radicchio, thinly sliced, 2 cups
- 1/2 cup California walnuts, lightly toasted
- 8 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup toasted California walnuts, for garnish
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shavings, for garnish
- Combine the kale leaves with enough arugula to make the ratio of kale to arugula approximately 1:1. Toss in a handful or two of radicchio, enough to contrast with the dark green of the kale and provide nice accents of color and flavor. Set the greens aside while you make the vinaigrette.
- To make the vinaigrette, put the walnuts, anchovies, mustard, oregano, garlic, and juice of one lemon (about 3 tablespoons) in a blender jar. Pulse in quick bursts, scraping the sides of the blender with a spatula to redistribute the ingredients and allow them to combine and blend uniformly. When no large chunks remain, begin to drizzle in the olive oil, stopping occasionally to move the ingredients around with a spatula. After the olive oil has been added, adjust the thickness with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Stir in the cheese and season to taste with additional lemon juice, salt, pepper, and Tabasco, if desired.
- Spoon half of the dressing over the salad and toss very well. (The dressing will be thick and need lots of tossing to coat the leaves; feel free to use your hands.) Let the salad sit for 10 minutes or so, then served topped with the toasted walnuts and shavings of Parmesan cheese.